Thursday, July 21, 2005

The MalSing map

There are discussions about free maps being used by other for their own online commercial benefit without giving credits to the malsingmaps.com forum. The moderator was trying to contact the guy who did that. Their request has been fallen into deaf ears.
Frankly speaking, it's quite discouraging. It's very unfair to those who spend hours to get the map done. The maps posted are meant for non-commercial uses only, which it is clearly stated on the front page of the forum itself. Still, there are still some unscrupulous trader decided to claim the maps downloaded from there as their own. I used to contribute the build up of the electronic map of Penang state quite often. Thanks to other GPS users from Penang, we manage to provide almost daily update to the map and it becomes better from time to time(to the stage that it is even better than the one provided by Garmin). Because of this exploitation, I decided to slow down my updates less frequently. Of course, some of forum members pleaded me not to do that. I think for the better of myself, it is a wise decision.
I don't ask for any monetary returns for what I have done on this mapping thinggy. I want creditability. Is a simple line that says "Maps courtesy of malsing.com" too difficult to write in their webpages? We don't creat the Penang map from scratch. We took what USM guys have done and improve it. If you open up the map, you will see the name of the originator is mentioned on the top left of map. We don't simply take his work for granted. We give him the due creditibility.
This is a daylight robbery of intellectual property. I think it is very discouraging!
Last Layout Update: 4:24 PM 9/21/2005