Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Bukit Mertajam

I was thinking of going to my routine ride at Bukit Gambier after work today. But after I bought network card for my antiquete pc and got it installed, little did I know that by the time I was done with the installation and some updates for anti-virus programs and the OS I am using, it was already pass 6.30pm. Time flies, isn't it? Anyway, I can go tommorow so it's no big deal.
Ah yes, the picture. That's the view of the hill we always see whenever we are in Bukit Mertajam or BM as what the town is called by locals and the regular vistors. The town is called "Da Shang jiao" in Mandarin, "Tua Shua Ka" in Teochew and Hokkien or Fujian or Fukkienese or "Tai Shan Kyok" in Cantonese. No matter how it is called in Mandarin or Chinese dialect, it means under the foothill of big hill/mountain. It puzzles me why it is called like that. Anyhow it makes sense since the town locates exactly at the foothill of this Bukit Mertajam. So this hill is called Bukit Mertajam. I am still trying to find out. But it should be.
I remember when I was a kid, I always heard horrible stories about people in BM and it seems to me that it was famous at the wrong reason, like drug smuggling, illegal liquor, triad activities etc. Just name the few. People just said bad things about others who suddenly became rich overnight or in a very short period of time like he was a drug pusher or a pimp to explain why he/she became rich at very young age. It maybe true in some cases but I believe the majority of the town here aren't that bad.
Anyway, got my pc solved. Now it's time for me to get my laptop overhauled.
Speaking of which, thanks to this I screwed up my Penang map update. Now I've got no choice but to rework on it again. Man, another sleepless nights again!
Last Layout Update: 4:24 PM 9/21/2005