Thursday, October 27, 2005

Not really into zen mode

I met this person this afternoon, who was in the office talking about kitchen cabinet. After I gave him the estimate, he was quite happy and wanted me to go to his new house to take measurement. With mom as back seat driver, I sat in front, and we started talked about our job experience.
This guy is working for Komag, a multinational company that specilaizes in hard drive. He asked me abt the prospect of hard drive. Frankly speaking, wuith the advent of solid state meory device, i.e. SD Card, Memory stick etc, it will soon be taken over. I can foresee the future of computer using only solid state memory as a means of data storage. I told him I went for inteview at the company he's working before but I didn't get the job. He looked surprise and said people like me should be highly sorted by his company. Well, probably my so-called honesty and professionalism cost me the chance of working there. I told my interviewere that I wasn't optimistic about the prospect of hard drive and soon solid state memory would be taking over. Unless Komag changes their business strategy, we won't see the brand Komag after 10 years. I never heard from them again.
I don't know what kind of mentality the local management here. Maybe they are not willing to hear the truth. In the computer industry, things get change faster than others. In a few seconds new things pop out. Today state of the art equpipment may become obsolete just in few weeks. When I asked them what was their plan to deal the "invasion" of the solid state memory, either they refuse to acknowledge the threat or they did bother to answer my question.
I think they want to hire someone to follow order, not someone who can stand up and question theirs when in doubt. No wonder after so many years of so-called development of the country, we are still lacking behind by other for a large margin.
But it won't stop me from looking for job again. I currently apply for three different positions at various corporate companies and hope I will hear from them soon!
Last Layout Update: 4:24 PM 9/21/2005