Monday, October 10, 2005

The Nine Emporer Gods Festival

It happens on the ninth day of the ninth month in the Chinese Lunar Calender every year. The followers would start observing vegetarian diet nine days before the the day that claimed to be the birthday of this Nine Emporer Gods.
I have not seen such festival in the Chinatown of New York or in Taiwan. Probably they do it in a smaller skill. But it's different here. Suddenly you see make shift tents sproad like a mushroom rightafter raining. The usual casual drive to that areas can make a patient man into a road bully. I have nothing to against this festival as I always believe it's everyone's right to believe in whatever they want to believe. I am not the one who likes to criticize others religion beliefs as it's none of my business, and I don't get paid to critize one's philosophy of life. But this has to be stopped. It creates a nuisance to other road users. Can't they find a place to set up their stores somewhere other than doing it by the road side?
Civic awareness is virtually non-existence in this part of the world. If one voices out about this, he is going to ask for trouble. People will not appreciate it, and he will get shot down by not being "appreciative".
Anyway, thank god it's the last day today. Man, it's over 9pm. I'd better pack up and go see my little David now.
Last Layout Update: 4:24 PM 9/21/2005