Friday, September 23, 2005

My Alta Mater

I just browsed the website of my undergrad alta mater and quite impressed by the recent developments of this tiny college. Amongst the colleges on Long Island, New York Institute of Technology is nobody. Hey, we are talking about the who's who in the academic instituition like SUNY at Stonybrook and The Polytechnic University. They have already earned their own reputation by publishing many research papers in the field of physics, mathematics and engineerings. Compare to them, NYIT has no match. Off course, one migt argue that the famous movie, Tron was done by the graduates of this tiny college. But peole don't see it as benchmark to judge how successful is one college. When I first attended the school at their Central Islip campus, I wasn't happy. I thought I had been cheated by coming to this cheap school. Hell, it wasn't cheap to study there consider that I had to pay an average of USD300 per credit hour. But as I made advance into my senior years, I started to appreciate its strength. The department is loaded with well educated professors. Dr. Timothy Daughlin had helped me to appreciate Advanced Calculus(I am thrilled at how he presented those advanced mathematic courses that made them so simple). Dr. Lu had helped me to go through few tough courses and Dr. Herbert Fox, who made me realized that Propsulsion system of the aircraft was not as complicated as what it seems to be. Of course, not to forget that because of their recommendation, I managed to step into Polytechnic University to do my Master(though I didn't manage to continue to the PhD lever. That will be another story, a long one!).
They now have their own research center to do something about energy system. Although I can see that it is at its infancy stage, I am pretty optimistic that they will one day become one of the best in that area.
But I don't miss the high school that much. Probably beause I was a loner, and I didn't have many friends there. It's understandable. I didn't stand out when it comes to academic excellence. I did't play football, I was not a great fan of Thomas cup, and the sport that I was(am still doing)involved considered to be a sport for non-Chinese educated. My girlfriend wasn't even from the same school. So I left the school without much memory about it and infact I already forget most of the names of my school mates(except few whom I still keep in touch of course, but one hand can count them all!).
Anyway, just a thought. Tomorrow is Saturday. I still have to come to office. Life sucks, really!

Oh yeah what sports I was talking about? Cycling, Squash and Tennis lah!

My alta maters:
Tamkang University
New York Institute of Technology
The Polytechnic University
Last Layout Update: 4:24 PM 9/21/2005