The Huntsman Spider
Remember the spider that I saw few days ago? It's called Huntsman Spider, Heteropoda venatoria. It eats cockroaches, it's quite harmless to human beings, which means it bites but the venom it produces is not harmful to Homo Sapiens. It's quite comforting to know. I like the part that it eats cockraches. But I don't like the part that it "may" bite!
Excerpt from UFL's article:"It is not a dangerous spider, but a locally painful bite can be delivered to any human who carelessly handles a huntsman spider."
Hey, I am not going to meddle with it! Forget it man. So I did the right thing by sweeping it away without killing it.
This info was giving to me by one of the person who studies spider in NUS. I got to get his e-mail address when I was searching on the webs. The given name and its scientific name also help me to find out more about it. Apparently this creature is Asian in origin but spread through the world right now. I wonder if we could find it in north and south poles!
Info on Huntsman Spider:
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/urban/spiders/giant_crab_spider.htm
http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/guidebooks/spiders/text/Heteropoda_venatoria.htm
http://www.cyberoz.net/city/sekine/zukax410.htm



<< Home