WA Online and Fly FM
I don't read Chinese newspaper very often though I speak and write the language. Only once in a while when I feel like getting second opinions on certain news(often times I would be dissappointed to find out that they just translate whatever they could get from others!). The topic about WA FM being shut down caught my attention. WA FM was used to be the WOW FM, an English radio station that I liked to tune to at 10pm for indi and alternative musics. God knows why they decided to turn to Chinese radio station. Since then I stop listen to them. I am not used to listening to Chinese radio station. Even when I was in Taiwan, the only radio stations that I would listen were their only English station, the ICRT(actually a hybrid. The DJ speaks Mandarin when the callers got stuck to express themselves in English) and VOA. (BCC not my favorite. Don't like their British accent) So the new owner of the radio station thinks this WA FM doesn't make money and shut it off. All the sudden the NGOs and other so-called Chinese community leaders created an issue out of it. Saying that shutting down WA FM is a sin or something like that. They should get it going for the sake of the benefit to the Chinese community(or something close to it lah). A friend of mine, who is an avid listener to Chinese radio station thinks WA FM's cool because it broadcasted issues concern to the community. Well, I can't comment to that because only once in a blue moon tune to that radio station.
So it becomes an online radio station and self funded now(so to speak) since its broadcasting license has been revoked. Out of the curiosity I decided to check it out to see what all te fuss about this online radio provides. If you were interested point your browser to this url: http://www.waonline.com.my. Oh btw, I do not get the url from the newspaper. I found it I metasearch it. The homepage looks slick. The broadcast is done via Macromedia flash engine. The sound quality of the broadcast is quite good at broadband speed(didn't check how much bandwidth it needs to come such a CD quality sound but I guess it should be in the range of 129kbps). The content. Yes the content. First day, around 10pm. It was a talk about Chinese women being abducted by Immigration officers and being told to strip naked in police stations. Ok, that was fine with me since it was a hot topic. They played songs in between the break. Too bad, I was as ignorant about what songs they play and who sing those songs. Ask me anything about Mariah Carey or NIN and I would probably be able to tell you a thing or two about them. But Twins, S.H.E or Jolene(whatever)? Huh?? I just accessed to this WA Online again. Same stuff, the DJ spins out Chinese and Canto pops and in between she reads out requests from her loyal audiances. It's about stuffs like A loves B but B loves C and doesn't know A loves him, and ahem, C is A's good friend and she doesn't know A loves B too. The other one is D asks E how much longer she has to wait for him? Typical teenage stuffs I suppose. Guess it is a fine radio station. I have never heard of this stuffs on local Engglish radio stations. Maybe there are more love strucks among Chinese speaking people then others. Or maybe the English are more proactive and able to express themselves more openly.
Ah the Fly FM. It's hosted by Sofian Mokthar aka Fly Guy, one of the earlier morning crews in Hitz.fm. They just dissapeared all the sudden one day and there was not a single about their whereabouts. Apparently, I found out that there was a problem about their contacts between them and the employer. Since they couldn't resolve the disagreements, the employer decided to pull the plug. Anyway, it's great to see Fly Guy is back. I hope one day Lil Kev will join him too. The Fly.fm do give an alternative to the listeners if they do not find Hitz.fm play the music they want. Lets see what happen. Hope they will not end up like wow.fm. Oh, the url of Fly.fm: www.fly.fm.
So it becomes an online radio station and self funded now(so to speak) since its broadcasting license has been revoked. Out of the curiosity I decided to check it out to see what all te fuss about this online radio provides. If you were interested point your browser to this url: http://www.waonline.com.my. Oh btw, I do not get the url from the newspaper. I found it I metasearch it. The homepage looks slick. The broadcast is done via Macromedia flash engine. The sound quality of the broadcast is quite good at broadband speed(didn't check how much bandwidth it needs to come such a CD quality sound but I guess it should be in the range of 129kbps). The content. Yes the content. First day, around 10pm. It was a talk about Chinese women being abducted by Immigration officers and being told to strip naked in police stations. Ok, that was fine with me since it was a hot topic. They played songs in between the break. Too bad, I was as ignorant about what songs they play and who sing those songs. Ask me anything about Mariah Carey or NIN and I would probably be able to tell you a thing or two about them. But Twins, S.H.E or Jolene(whatever)? Huh?? I just accessed to this WA Online again. Same stuff, the DJ spins out Chinese and Canto pops and in between she reads out requests from her loyal audiances. It's about stuffs like A loves B but B loves C and doesn't know A loves him, and ahem, C is A's good friend and she doesn't know A loves B too. The other one is D asks E how much longer she has to wait for him? Typical teenage stuffs I suppose. Guess it is a fine radio station. I have never heard of this stuffs on local Engglish radio stations. Maybe there are more love strucks among Chinese speaking people then others. Or maybe the English are more proactive and able to express themselves more openly.
Ah the Fly FM. It's hosted by Sofian Mokthar aka Fly Guy, one of the earlier morning crews in Hitz.fm. They just dissapeared all the sudden one day and there was not a single about their whereabouts. Apparently, I found out that there was a problem about their contacts between them and the employer. Since they couldn't resolve the disagreements, the employer decided to pull the plug. Anyway, it's great to see Fly Guy is back. I hope one day Lil Kev will join him too. The Fly.fm do give an alternative to the listeners if they do not find Hitz.fm play the music they want. Lets see what happen. Hope they will not end up like wow.fm. Oh, the url of Fly.fm: www.fly.fm.



<< Home