Friday, December 02, 2005

Loan shark


The other day I went to visit a customer nearby Megamall Prai. He was out and the door was shut close. Called him and found that he was on his way back. So I waited in front of his office feeling like a dork. Something caught my eyes. There was this big grey metal box standing by the roadside. It is a power junction box. That was nothing about the box. But there were many small stickers on it. Upon closer look, I could see the stickers were about providing loan services at "reasonable" rate. No address and no land line telephone. The only contact is via the cell phone number(s) provided. If you look at the prefixes of the cell numbers again, you can find that all of them are prepaid numbers.
From an ignorant glance people might say what's up with those guys. Offer service but no fixed address and telephone numbers, and the only contact is thru their pre-paid cell numbers? Are they so poor that they can't afford to have an office and post cell phone service? It's a trick by those so called private financial service providers. By not telling people where they are and their fixed line telephone so that they could run away if anything happens. Yes, you guess it right. They are loan sharks. Illegal money lenders who would make your life miserable if you "forget" to pay your debt in time! Ever notice that the stickers are printed in Mandarin and Bahasa Malaysia only? That also tells you about wo are their target customers/victims.
They exist because of the difficulties of getting financial helps from the legal instituition for small traders, those who are ignorant about how to get loan from banks or someone who do not have good credentials. These crooks were quite efficient in lending out money and very easy to get their approval. But their can be very high. I don't know how high the rates are but I am sure they are high enough that it will take the debtors forever to repay the loan.
Anyway, it's just thought. By the time I started to wonder why people approached them although they know would have to pay back with high rates, my customer arrived. I quickly broke my thought about this loan shark thing and was ushered into my customer office.
No I will ot approach the loan shark to solve my problems so don't worry!
Last Layout Update: 4:24 PM 9/21/2005